Exploring Downtown Detroit
Cosmopolitan. Industrious. Cool.
Downtown Detroit is an international crossing that mixes things historic and legendary with elements modern and contemporary. A thriving walkable international riverfront includes water fountains, butterfly gardens, a working carousel and a delicious French bistro. Architecture from Albert Kahn and Isamu Noguchi lives next to all-night joints selling loaded Coney dogs and Prohibition-born speakeasies pouring local-crafted beer. Three Vegas-style casinos run 24/7. Must-see museums celebrate art, music, maritime and African-American history. Urban parks and friendly neighborhoods abound. Classic theaters, a bustling cultural district and hip hangouts entertain and three sports stadiums rock.
Cobo Center is currently undergoing a $300 million expansion and renovation which will increase the Center’s exhibition capacity to 725,000 square feet of prime exhibit space.
Fox Theatre, a Detroit historic jewel, can service up to 800 guests for sit-down dinners in its ornate lobby, 1,500 guests for strolling receptions, and also offers a 4,800-seat theater.
In addition to Lions football, Ford Field hosts banquets, corporate meetings and special events with 100,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
Renaissance Conference Center — The 20,000 square foot executive conference center is located in the GM Renaissance Center, designed for corporate meetings, seminars/training and business functions for up to 2,500 guests.
Attractions with Meeting/Event Facilities
- Detroit Institute of Arts — Artful spaces for meetings, receptions, and dinners plus a stunning 1,200-seat theater.
- Detroit Historical Museum — Receptions and dinners can be booked in several areas of the museum including the popular Streets of Detroit exhibit.
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History — Plan a special meeting or event in the world's largest museum of African American history. The facility offers a 317-seat state-of-the-art theater, two large banquet-style galleries, a majestic rotunda and more.
- Fillmore Theatre — A historic venue since 1925, you can book the entire 2,100 seat theater. Also offered is 2,900 square feet of space for meetings, receptions or dinner events.
Hotels with Meeting Space*
Downtown Detroit offers a wide selection of lodging options, from luxury and mid-priced properties close to Cobo Center and the city’s business and entertainment districts.
- Atheneum Suite Hotel and Conference Center
- Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Detroit
- Crown Plaza Pontchartrain Detroit Convention Center Hotel
- Detroit Marriott at The Renaissance Center
- Doubletree Suites by Hilton
- Greektown Casino
- Hilton Garden Inn Detroit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
- Hotel St. Regis
- MGM Grand Detroit Casino
- MotorCity Casino
- The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
*Defined as 100 or more guest rooms and a minimum of 4,000 square feet of meeting space.
Detroit's Cultural Center is home to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and its collection is among the top six in the United States.